There’s nothing like a crackling fire on a cool evening. A fireplace is a wonderful thing, but what if you’re like me, and find your home lacking one? Ethanol fireplaces are a neat and Earth-friendly option. They’re portable and don’t need a flue (outlet for smoke and ash), so they’re a really easy way to add the ambiance of a fireplace to an otherwise fireplace-less home!
So, what are the advantages of an ethanol fireplace?
- No hazardous emissions, so they’re safe to use indoors (very important, so as not to asphyxiate your family and friends). Choose your fuel carefully – not all liquid ethanol burns the same. Superior Liquid Ethanol Fuel is made from corn, and produces only water vapor when it burns, with no stinky by-products.
- There’s no smoke, ash or cleaning required (lazy housekeepers rejoice!)
- They’re portable, so you can use them in whatever room strikes your fancy at that moment (or bring it out to your patio). Some are even constructed like a flat-screen TV, and can be hung on your wall – cool!
- In addition to oozing ambiance, they also emit heat. Depending on the size of the fuel reservoir in the fireplace, it can warm an entire room.
- I’d be remiss not to point out that we’re burning alcohol here, which is extremely flammable. Here are your requisite Ethanol Fireplace Safety Tips:
- NEVER add fuel to a fireplace that is already burning or hot.
- Carefully pour the fuel directly into the fuel tray using a funnel (it sounds like commons sense, but don’t use a funnel you also use for food or drinks)
- ONLY use Liquid Ethanol Fuel specifically designed for ventless fireplaces – don’t improvise with rubbing alcohol, grain alcohol or any other flammable liquids.
- DON’T overfill the fuel tray – it should only be three-quarters full before lighting.
- Use a long match or BBQ lighter to light the fuel
• Store the fuel far away from your kitchen or any food – it looks a LOT like water in the bottle.
Ethanol fireplace styles run the gamut from traditional to über-modern, and come in a wide range of prices, so there’s no reason to spend yet another winter without a cozy fire in your home!